At Green Street Green we want children to find mathematics exciting, rewarding and challenging. We aim to provide all pupils with the mathematical knowledge, skills and understanding that will enable them to make sense of the world around them as they grow and develop.
We base our mathematics teaching on the National Curriculum 2014 which aims to ensure that all pupils:
- become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics through varied and frequent practice with increasingly complex problems over time, enabling pupils to develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, conjecturing relationships and generalisations, developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language.
- can solve problems by applying their knowledge of mathematics to a variety of routine and non- routine problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions.
The mathematics curriculum includes the teaching and learning of:
- Numbers and the number system (e.g. counting, place value, ordering, estimating, fractions, percentages, decimals, ratio etc.)
- Calculations (e.g. rapid mental recall of number facts, mental calculations, informal and formal pencil and paper methods, understanding of the four mathematics operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division)
- Solving problems (e.g. making decisions about which operation and method of calculation to use
- Measures (e.g. choosing units and instruments, estimating and reading a range of scales)
- Handling data (e.g. collecting presenting and interpreting data including block graphs, bar charts, pie charts.)
Mathematics is learnt best when it is based within a rich variety of practical work that combines visual images, manipulatives (objects that can be handled) and mathematical talk. Talking about maths is not just about learning to use mathematical vocabulary appropriately but about developing the ability to reason and explain thinking.
At Green Street Green mathematics is taught daily:
45 mins in KS1
1 hour in KS2
Children follow a programme to support the learning of times tables in order to increase their fluency over time. Learners are given opportunities to use and apply these skills within real life contexts.
Green Street Green is a Mathletics school. Mathletics is an online, personalised maths learning platform which supports children’s mathematics work at home. Mathletics is in addition to children’s home learning and allows them to undertake new learning as well as improving and reinforcing prior learning. Mathletics is designed to inspire children with the desire to learn more and give them the confidence to succeed.
Reviewed November 2016